Arnos Grove, Cannon Hill, Southgate, London
Caroline Franklin, Michael Franklin
Arnos Grove, an estate in Southgate, 7 or 8 miles north of London, belonging to Sir William Mayne, 1st Baron Newhaven (1722 – 1794). Originally a mediaeval demesne known as Arnold’s then Arno’s, Sir William renamed it Arno’s Grove. Mayne acquired the estate in 1766, on which was already built the present early eighteenth-century mansion, and conveyed it in 1775 to James Brown of Lombard Street. (Baggs, A P, Diane K Bolton, Eileen P Scarff and G C Tyack. 'Edmonton: Other estates' A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5, Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham. Ed. T F T Baker and R B Pugh, (London: Victoria County History, 1976), 154-161. British History Online
Please note that all dates and location information are provisional, initially taken from the library and archive catalogues. As our section editors continue to work through the material we will update our database and the changes will be reflected across the edition.