Sorrelsykes, Richmond, Yorkshire
Full Address: Sorrelsykes, Richmond, Yorkshire , Burton-cum-Walden , Yorkshire , England , Europe
Project: Yorkshire Mapping Project
Contributor: Rhiannon Parker-Nicholls
Just east of West Burton lies Sorrelsykes Park Hall, a sizeable Palladian-fronted manor house, now split into four separate dwellings. The current house dates back to the early nineteenth century, however, a previous manor house stood beforehand, and was owned by Matthew Robinson sometime after 1698. Matthew also owned Edgley, which lies on the northern side of Ellers Lane. The map attached to the Statement of Claim for Edgley in 1887, shows a portion of land in the rough location of Sorrelsykes Hall, and so it is conceivable that Sorrelsykes was once part of the Edgley estate.
The original house, then known as Sorysikes Meadow, dates back to at least the early 17th century; however, nothing of the original building remains, and it is not clear who was responsible for building the current house. While the Parish Council of Burton-cum-Walden claims that the Hall was ‘built as [Montagu’s] country residence, thanks to her husband’s newly-inherited wealth’, this is incorrect, as there is no record of Elizabeth ever mentioning or visiting Sorrelsykes. Furthermore, the current Hall was not rebuilt until the early 19th century, after Montagu’s death. There is no record of the Hall being rebuilt under Matthew Montagu’s ownership.
Please note that all dates and location information are provisional, initially taken from the library and archive catalogues. As our section editors continue to work through the material we will update our database and the changes will be reflected across the edition.
Browser support: The website works best using the Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browsers on the PC, and only Chrome and Firefox on the Mac.